The Ten Commandments of Using Social Media

I had the pleasure of presenting on the topic of Christians and social media this past Friday evening in Bel Air, MD at Mt. Zion Methodist Church.  We had a wonderful meal, a great time of worship and a blessed time of fellowship.  Will Brooks, who organized the event, did an outstanding job and was a very gracious host.

My talk was based on Craig Groeschel's book #struggles: Following Jesus in a Selfie-Centered World and in Appendix #1 at the conclusion of the book, Groeschel shares "10 Commandments of Using Social Media,"  I decided to share them here because I personally found them helpful and believe others will as well.  In the book, Groeschel explains each of the 10, but for my purposes here, I will just list them.

1. Put God first in all you say and post.

2. Love others as you want to be loved.

3. Use social media to facilitate, not replace, real relationships.

4. Use social media instead of being controlled by it as an idol.

5. Turn your virtual other cheek to posts that offend you.

6. Do not post our of emotion.

7. Always reflect Jesus, loving God whether online or off.

8. Do not use social media to fuel temptations.

9. Form your own opinions; do not follow the crowd.

10. Do not base your identify on what people think.

I hope you find these as helpful as I did and I would recommend Groeschel's book.  It was both challenging and practical.

Courage and Godspeed,
Chad

Related Posts

The 10 Commandments of Logic

What I've Learned from Blog Comments

Comments