Atheist Joel Marks on God and Morality

"The long and the short of it is that I became convinced that atheism implies amorality; and since I am an atheist, I must therefore embrace amorality.  I call the premise of this argument 'hard atheism.' ... A 'soft atheist' would hold that one could be an atheist and still believe in morality.  And indeed, the whole crop of 'New Atheists' are softies of this kind.  So was I, until I experienced my shocking epiphany that the religious fundamentalists are correct: without God, there is no morality. But they are incorrect, I still believe, about there being a God.  Hence, I believe, there is no morality."1



Courage and Godspeed,

Chad

Footnote:
1. Joel Marks, "An Amoral Manifesto I," Philosophy Now 80 (August/September 2010): 30 as quoted by Abdu H. Murray in Grand Central Question.

Related Posts

The First Premise of the Moral Argument

Counterpoints: Alvin Plantinga and Michael Ruse on Morality

Video: God and Arguments from Morality by Chad A. Gross

Comments

Ben said…
Without god there is no objective/divine morality, but this does not mean there is no morality, period.