William Lane Craig on Objective Moral Values and Duties

"Philosophers who reflect on our moral experience see no more reason to distrust that experience than the experience of our five senses.  I believe what my five senses tell me, namely, that there is a world of physical objects out there.  My senses aren't infallible, but that doesn't lead me to think that there is no eternal world around me.  Similarly, in the absence of some reason to distrust my moral experience, I should accept what it tells me, namely, that some things are objectively good or evil, right or wrong...Actions like rape, torture, and child abuse aren't just socially unacceptable behavior-they're moral abominations.  By the same token, love, generosity, and self sacrifice are really good.  People who fail to see this are just handicapped, the moral equivalent of someone who is physically blind, and there's no reason to let their impairment call into question what we see clearly." [1]

Courage and Godspeed,
Chad

Footnote:

1. William Lane Craig, On Guard, p. 140-141.

Comments